Sunday, August 23, 2009

Bowl O' Goodness: Swiss Oatmeal

swissoatmeal


My friend and I recently discovered the Swiss Oatmeal at the Corner Bakery. It is a yummy bowl of goodness and we don't feel guilty walking away with a full belly of this stuff. This meal will help you meet your fruit, whole grain, and dairy requirements for the day. I find myself craving this sometimes, so I was wondering how hard it would be to make it at home, since it is served chilled and I don't have that much time in the mornings to be waiting for warm oatmeal to "chill". As it turns out, it is easy to make, and the bulk of it can be made the night before. Just mix the oats together with some yogurt and milk and leave it in the fridge overnight, with no cooking needed. I feared it would be a soggy mess the first time I tried it, but it wasn't!

I found this recipe online. But then, I modified it to suit my tastes.


Here's my version:
1 Cup Bob's Red Mill Muesli
1 Cup rolled oats (I bought mine in bulk)
3/4 Cup skim milk
Half of 6 oz. container of vanilla yogurt
Handful of trail mix (containing dried raisins, cherries, cranberries, walnuts and almonds)
1 small green apple
1 small banana

The night (or a few hours) before serving, mix the muesli, oats, yogurt and milk together. Cover and put in fridge. After oatmeal has chilled, add the chopped apples, banana and chopped trail mix to the bowl and serve. This recipe makes 2 large servings.

Variations could include adding cinnamon, nutmeg or brown sugar or using different fruits or yogurt flavors.

No comments: