Sunday, April 10, 2011

Yumberry Bellini Tea

YumberryBelliniTeaWeb
I apologize to my loyal reader (hi, Mom) for the long blogging absence. That's right, I'm fairly sure I only have one reader at this point, since all others have given up on me. Well, maybe not everyone (hi, Nick). I will attempt to rectify this situation by making a little tea. I have found that a good glass of sweet iced tea will bring peace and harmony to the world.

With that, I bring you Yumberry Bellini Tea. Yesterday, while grocery shopping, I was wandering down the juice aisle looking for a mixer for my latest tea find, Berry Bellini tea. Don't get me wrong, this tea blend by itself is great, with a breezy peach flavor and a hint of sweet raspberry. However, I'm always looking for a way to jazz things up, so I usually mix in one of the good old standbys - lemon or lime juice, or some crushed mint. This time, I was looking for something different, something more wild and exotic and I stumbled upon just that - Yumberry Juice. I read the list of ingredients and found that one of the ingredients was actually "Yumberry Puree", so I decided to give it a whirl.

I found this site that gives more information about the Yumberry. It's origins are from China, where it is known as the Yang Mei fruit. It is a red, dimpled fruit, with tangy sweet flesh.

Here is my recipe:
1 1/2 Cups hot water
1/2 Cup sugar
5 Zhena's Gypsy Tea Berry Bellini tea sachets (found at Central Market)
1 Cup Yumberry juice
6 Cups cold water

BerryBelliniWeb

YumberryWeb

1. Boil 1 1/2 cups water and mix in 1/2 cup sugar to dissolve.

2. Remove from heat and add tea bags. Allow to steep for 4-5 minutes.

3. In large pitcher, add tea, Yumberry juice and cold water.

4. Pour over ice and serve.

Serves 4.

1 comment:

Nick said...

I was really wanting to learn how to make "special" instant tea but this looks even better! Probably would be great with a brownie! ;)