Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Creamy Avocado Soup

AvocadoSoupWeb
Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner. I had never celebrated until I moved to Texas, but it is a fun holiday for my fellow Texan foodies. Our neighbors have a get-together planned for this weekend and we'll be also be doing a potluck at work this coming Friday. Luckily, I work with some great chefs. No, we don't cook for a living, but you would think we did if you experienced one of our famous department potlucks. Just this week, two of my coworkers brought in batches of homemade salsa. One of the recipes featured red wine, cloves and raisins and provided a sweet and spicy kick to my tastebuds. This particular coworker of mine (I'll call him Chef J) has quite the reputation for his creative recipes (Bacon-wrapped strawberries, anyone?).

A few months ago, he gave me this recipe for creamy avocado soup which would be a great starter for a Cinco de Mayo feast; He said I could pass the recipe along, so here is the tasty goodness:

Ingredients:
1 to 1-1/2 cups chopped white/sweet onions
Several sprigs of fresh cilantro (chopped)
Juice of 2 limes
4 Avocados (diced)
3 tsp. chopped garlic
3-4 cups chicken broth
1 cup heavy cream

In a saucepan, sauté the onions and garlic in a bit of oil or butter until onions are translucent. Pour chicken broth into the pan and bring it to a boil. Add lime juice. Add cilantro and the diced avocado. Boil this for 3-4 minutes. Add the mixture to a blender and add the cream. Puree until the mixture is smooth. Pour into bowls and garnish with sour cream if desired.

No comments: